This is my favorite recipe for chilli.
In this recipe, the Quorn mince can be swapped out for the same measurement of beef mince, or other favorite minced meat.
I've included some optional ways to serve this dish at the bottom.
- One 500g bag of Quorn mince (OR replace with 500g of mince meat)
- One diced large onion
- One diced bell pepper (color of choice for contrast)
- One can of chopped tomatoes
- One can of beans - well rinsed (your choice bean)
- One can of consommé or one stock cube dissolved in hot water (add to one of the empty cans above for the one can measurement)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 2-3 large garlic cloves minced
- Splash of soy sauce (Quorn mince flavoring)
- 1/4 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce (the ketchup cuts the acidity of the tomatoes, the BBQ sauce makes a sweeter chili)
- Tapatio (if you like your chili hotter)
Brown off the Quorn mince, using a splash of soy (optional) as the mince starts browning then set aside to sauté the onion and pepper until soft.
Add back in the mince and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Do a taste test to see if you need to add the optional ketchup or BBQ sauce or Tapatio.
- BEST SERVED HOT -
- Corn bread (my favorite)
- Steamed rice
- Baked potato
- Green Salad
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (my favorite)
- Minced raw onion
- Cheese and onion
- Minced pickled jalapeno
- Creme fresh
This batch will serve 4 to 6, and leftovers freeze well.